The rich taste of this dish belies the simplicity of its ingredients and its preparation. But that’s what good Italian cooking is all about: fresh ingredients and simple preparation that permit the mixture of flavors to “speak” to one’s tastebuds – loudly and clearly.
Low GI Recipe: Egg Noodles with Mushrooms (Pappardelle con Funghi) The rich taste of this dish belies the simplicity of its ingredients and its preparation. But that’s what good Italian cooking is all about: fresh ingredients and simple preparation that permit the mixture of flavors to “speak” to one’s tastebuds – loudly and clearly. Buon appetito!
Created by: Johanna Burani – EatGoodCarbs.com Cuisine: Italian Recipe type: Pasta Serves: 4 Ingredients
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (crimini, baby portabella, brown)
- 12 sprigs fresh parsley, minced (approximately ½ cup)
- 6 Laughing Cow cheese wedges, light*
- 1 cup marsala wine (sweet red dessert wine)
- 8 oz egg pappardelle
- * Pasteurized spreadable Swiss flavor cheese wedges.
- Use a damp paper towel to wipe mushrooms clean of debris. Cut each one into 4-5 vertical slices.
- Thoroughly coat a large skillet with vegetable spray and warm over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 6 minutes. Stir frequently to cook evenly. Lower the heat if needed.
- Stir in the parsley and simmer for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a small sauce pan, drop the cheese wedges, pressing down with the back of a fork to squash them. Add the marsala. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Cook the sauce over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sauce to the mushrooms and keep covered while the pasta is cooking.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Be careful not to overcook. This pasta will only require 4-5 minutes once them come to a boil. Drain.
- Pour pasta over mushroom sauce and serve immediately (fresh egg noodles absorb liquids quickly). Grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese may be added as desired.
Nutrition Information Serving size: ¼ Calories: 384 Fat: 5g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 53g Fiber: 3g Protein: 14g Cholesterol: 80mg