This simple, earthy soup tastes like it came right out of Mother Nature’s very own soup kettle! It’s wholesome, smooth and absolutely delicious. Make a double batch and freeze some. It will taste just as good the second time.
Low GI Recipe: Cream of Carrot and Celery Soup This simple, earthy soup tastes like it came right out of Mother Nature’s very own soup kettle! It’s wholesome, smooth and absolutely delicious. Make a double batch and freeze some. It will taste just as good the second time.
Created by: Johanna Burani – EatGoodCarbs.com Cuisine: Italian Recipe type: Soups Serves: 4 Ingredients
- 4 carrots (approx. 8 oz)
- small head celery (approx. 24 oz)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 scarce tsp caraway seeds
- 4 slices hearty rye bread
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Wash the vegetables with a vegetable brush. Cut off the ends and cut in half horizontally. Place vegetables in a large pot with 5 cups of salted water. Cover and cook over moderate heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ¼ of the vegetables at a time and place in a blender. Process on high to attain a smooth puree. Add some of the liquid if needed. Pour puree into a medium sized pot. Continue processing all the vegetables until they are all pureed and in the pot. Add remaining broth and keep warm on low heat. Stir in the caraway seeds and mix well.
- Place a slice of bread on the bottom of each soup bowl. Pour equal amounts of the hot soup into each bowl, over the bread. Drizzle the oil on top of the soup. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information Serving size: 1½ cup Calories: 185 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 7g Protein: 5g Cholesterol: 1mg